Saturday, September 1, 2012

Where to start.


Monday and Tuesday I can´t say anything particularly interesting happened. I went to classes, walked home, got some food at the grocery (chips to go with my queso!) and hung out at home mostly. Oh, I also started running on the beach, which has been some nice clear my head and hopefully not get fat in Chile again time.


Tuesday we did have a really fun day in class with the 5th graders where I led a game based around foods, it used the smart board and they had to spin the wheel and then answer the food/kitchen related question. They seemed to love it and Caroll was really pleased with it as well. I also didn´t feel so bad about some kids losing. 

Tuesday was also like a Friday because Wednesday we had off for some national holiday.  I decided to walk to the Morro, the hill we had tried to climb friday, to watch the sunset (just to clarify, I didn´t sleep from like noon to 6, lunch here is at like 3 or 4). So around 5 I started the walk and saw some new streets that I liked and will have to explore more, then I met up with Bria at the entrance to the hill and we walked up.




I think we actually had the best sunset that day that I´ve seen, the fog and clouds weren´t too thick and obviously it was a pretty view seeing the whole city. We stayed up there for awhile, it was really nice and helped me see that Arica is not quite as small as I was thinking. The only minor downside was that I couldn´t see south, which had been my main hope, but there is this stubborn hill in the way of the view.

Then yesterday I woke up and the family informed me that they/we were going to Tacna, Peru. We all (10 of us) piled into the van for the hour ride. There is pretty much nothing on the way there, just sand and some shacks, then you go through both Chilean and then Peruvian customs at separate stops. It went smoothly and we drove about 25km more to the actual city. 

I really liked Tacna, it was bigger, had a lot going on and had some green. We went to lunch at ¨La Frontera¨I had mixed seafood ceviche...they claimed it was the best thing to get in Tacna, and although it wasn´t bad and I´m glad I tried it, it was a bit much for me. I also had a Peruvian pisco sour, which was sweeter than the Chilean version, and Inka Cola, which is my favorite.


Then Eduardo, Estefani and I walked around town, they showed me different shops and we went to some juice place that was amazing, I had a mango and milk juice (mom you will love this place). It was really nice walking around with them. then we met up with the rest of the family who had been shopping for home things and they also wanted to take me to the juice place...So we went again. We also went to some artesenal cake place and got slices of cake. This time around I had a strawberry and mango juice. Also very good. 

Today went better than expected considering I am very tired. I got to grade 6th grade presentations, which was pretty entertaining. 

Overall it was nice to have a few adventures these last few days, I feel like my family and I are bonding more, going to Peru on a whim is fun, and plus tomorrow is Friday and that´s never a bad thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment